As I am sure you have noticed, the internet has been all abuzz lately about Dr. Oz’s recent run in with the Senate’s Consumer Protection panel. If you have no clue what I am talking about, then count your lucky stars. And if I’ve piqued your interest, head over to CNN for a concise article that details the charges against Dr. Oz and the misleading claims he has made about chlorogenic acid (aka green coffee beans) and gardenia cambogia.
Photo: Flickr user Jessica Spengler http://www.flickr.com/photos/wordridden/8278570234/
Here’s a little summary of what the research says about the “miracle” pills Dr. Oz uses “flowery language” to sell:
- chlorogenic acid (aka green coffee beans): one study showed significant weight loss among a very small participant group, another study showed a slight weight loss among a very small participant group and another study found absolutely no weight loss effect. Bottom line: real, significant studies that aim to give legitimate results generally use large participant groups so that the results can be applied to the public at large. This has not been done for chlorogenic acid and therefore it should not be marketed as a proven weight loss supplement.
- gardenia cambogia: proven to not significantly help participants lose any more weight than a placebo pill. Definitely should not be marketed as an effective weight loss supplement.
Photo: Flickr user Victor/CC/flickr.com/photos/v1ctor/6889837424
Honestly, I’m not surprised by Dr. Oz’s claims. Celebrity experts have been slinging “miracle” pills for years and consumers have been buying their claims all the way to the poor house. But the fact of the matter is that there is NO miracle pill or supplement out there that is going to help you loose weight while sitting on the couch and eating potato chips. DO NOT waste your time and money.
Unfortunately since the advent of cheap processed food and the fun “farm bill” that subsidizes even cheaper commodity foods, North American’s waistlines have expanded exponentially. Todays children are the first generation expected to live shorter lives that their parents. We’ve become docile and are looking for ways to improve our health in all of the wrong places. The only real impact these quick fix pills are making is to drain your wallet. You will not lose weight by simply popping a pill, drinking a magic protein powder or taking a particular supplement. I repeat quick fixes will NOT help you lose weight and keep it off.
Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s talk about real, documented and researched ways to lose weight, feel fabulous and have shiny, glowing skin. Here’s a spoiler: it’s not rocket science. It’s exactly what God provided for us at the beginning of time when we were created. Honestly, it’s really that simple and you know what, it works 100% of the time.
1. Drink plenty of filtered tap water. If you are thirsty, then you are already well on your way to dehydration. Don’t waste calories and your hard earned money on artificially sweetened soda (yes, high fructose corn syrup is an carcinogenic artificial sweetener) and designer waters. Did you know that standards for city tap water are actually stricter than government imposed bottled water standards? Yep, there are likely more toxins floating around in your bottled water than the stuff straight from the faucet. Buy a few reusable water bottles and fill them up. Add a couple sliced lemons or limes, a pinch of sea salt and some fresh mint and you’ll be set.
2. Eat your vegetables. Focus on in season, local vegetables in a rainbow of colors. Visit a local farmer’s market or sign up for a CSA farm share. If your budget allows chose organic or certified naturally/sustainably grown vegetables that don’t use toxic pesticides that encourage super bugs and the degradation of soil. Plus organic is better for you because the produce needs to produce more antioxidants to help them fight off diseases and pests.
3. Don’t fear fat. You need to eat dietary fat to loose body fat. Focus on healthy fats that have been proven to build a better body and boost brain power like avocado, extra virgin coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, pastured meat and eggs, wild salmon, sardines, nuts and seeds.
4. Pile on the protein. Enjoy one serving of protein (about the size and thickness of the palm of your hand) with each meal. Protein is made up of amino acids that help to build strong muscles and keep your body processes humming along. Without clean, good quality protein your body will not run optimally. Find a local farmer who values his craft and buy your meat in bulk from the farm. You will not only save a ton of money, but you will also build community right where you live.
5. Move your body every day. Do not overthink this. Remember that 80% of weight loss and health revolve around the fuel that you put into your body, exercise is only 10% of the equation (but still VERY important). Make an effort to lift heavy things a few times a week, take a 30 minute walk, play with your kids at the park, get your bike tuned up and actually use it, etc. Find a form of exercise that excites you and make a plan to stick with it. Not only will your body thank you, but so will your mind. Every time you move your body you activate hormones called endorphins that lift your mood and energize your body. It’s a beautifully designed cycle straight from God’s hand.
Next time you feel swayed by a commercial or something you hear on TV, take a deep breath, a moment to be thoughtful and keen enough to realize that there are lots of people out there trying to take advantage of your weaknesses and insecurities. Don’t give them the opportunity to take advantage of you. Know that you are worth more than a quick fix, you are fearfully and wonderfully made in God’s image and your body deserves to be treated like Christ’s temple!